Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Redwood City in San Mateo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Lathrop-Connor-Mansfield House

The Path of History

 
 
Lathrop-Connor-Mansfield House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 2, 2013
1. Lathrop-Connor-Mansfield House Marker
Inscription.  This home housed three families of historical significance. B.G. Lathrop who had the house built in 1863 was San Mateo County’s first clerk-recorder and assessor, serving until 1864 when he became Chairman of the Board of Supervisors for San Mateo County. He was an original director, secretary and treasurer of the Southern Pacific, and was instrumental in bringing the railroad through Redwood City to San Jose.

General Patrick E. Connor, the second owner, was a Civil War general; his troops kept the trails open for westward pioneers, and his presence helped keep Utah a Union territory during the Civil War. He is also known as the father of Utah mining. Connor’s wife was a Redwood City native.

Joel Mansfield, a three-term San Mateo County Sheriff, purchased the house in 1905 and moved the structure to its present location, 627 Hamilton. The house had two prior locations, with the original site situated where the Fox Theatre is now, at 2223 Broadway.

The Lathrop House is a beautiful example of Carpenter or Steamboat Gothic style that includes seven gables with spires, a veranda, carriage porch, and quatrefoil ornamental
Lathrop-Connor-Mansfield House image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 2, 2013
2. Lathrop-Connor-Mansfield House
The marker is behind the group of people standing in front of the Lathrop House.
Click or scan to see
this page online
along the eaves and over the front porch.
 
Erected by Redwood Historic Resources Advisory Committee.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1863.
 
Location. 37° 29.279′ N, 122° 13.8′ W. Marker is in Redwood City, California, in San Mateo County. Marker is on Hamilton Street south of Bradford Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 617 Hamilton Street, Redwood City CA 94063, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lathrop House (here, next to this marker); California Square (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named California Square (within shouting distance of this marker); "Old" San Mateo County Courthouse (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Old San Mateo County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); New Sequoia/Fox Theatre (about 600 feet away); Fox Theater (about 600 feet away); Former Site of Sequoia High School (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Redwood City.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 13, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 475 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 13, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=62579

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 26, 2022