Jonestown in Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Vincent de Paul Church
Third oldest Catholic Church in Baltimore.
Noted for the rare purity of Georgian architecture.
Cornerstone laid May 21, 1840 by Archbishop Eccleston and the bishops of the Fourth Provincial Council.
Dedicated by Archbishop Eccleston November 7, 1841.
Consecrated by Archbishop Gibbons March 25, 1879.
Second balcony for slaves removed 1873.
Fourteen bell carillon hung 1883.
Side balconies removed and altar baldachin erected 1885.
Restored and stained glass windows installed 1941.
Sanctuary renovated for communal liturgy 1972.
Named to the National Register of Historic Places of the United States for its historic and architectural value by the Secretary of the Interior 1974.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion.
Location. 39° 17.481′ N, 76° 36.364′ W. Marker is in Jonestown in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on North Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 North Front Street, Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking St. Vincent de Paul Church (a few steps from this marker); Phoenix Shot Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church, Baltimore (within shouting distance of this marker); Baltimore Police Department (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 9 North Front Street (about 400 feet away); German 170 MM. Minnewerfer (about 600 feet away); War Memorial (about 700 feet away); Charles H. Dorsey, Jr. (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jonestown.
Also see . . .
1. St. Vincent de Paul Church website. (Submitted on March 16, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
2. Details of the 14-bell chime. (Submitted on September 5, 2020, by Carl Scott Zimmerman of Kirkwood, Missouri.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,498 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.