Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Monterey in Monterey County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Whaling Station

 
 
Whaling Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 29, 2013
1. Whaling Station Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1847 by David Wight. Headquarters of Old Monterey Whaling Company 1855 – circa 1885.
 
Erected by Monterey History & Art Association Courtesy Thomson J. Hudson Memorial Fund.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
 
Location. 36° 36.235′ N, 121° 53.707′ W. Marker is in Monterey, California, in Monterey County. Marker can be reached from Decatur Street. Decatur Street is closed to vehicular traffic, foot traffic only. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 391 Decatur Street, Monterey CA 93940, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old Whaling Station (a few steps from this marker); First Brick House (within shouting distance of this marker); Don Gaspar de Portolá (within shouting distance of this marker); Crescent Brand Sardine Company (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); John “Bricky” Crivello (about 400 feet away); 400th Anniversary of the Naming of Monterey Bay by Gen. Sebastián Vizcaíno
Whaling Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, January 29, 2013
2. Whaling Station Marker
The marker is on a pole to the far right.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 400 feet away); Perry House (about 500 feet away); Earthquake Bell (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monterey.
 
Also see . . .
1. Historic American Buildings Survey record for the Monterey Whaling Station. The HABS notes for the Whaling Station are as follows: Established as a headquarters for Monterey Whaling Company and as a home for whalers in 1855. Some authorities claim it was built prior to 1850 by David Wight, builder of Pacific Building. It was neglected and restored in 1903, when second floor cantilevered building was added. (Submitted on February 18, 2013.) 

2. Old Whaling Station. The California State Parks page for the Old Whaling Station. Includes a photo of the diamond-pattern whale bone sidewalk. (Submitted on February 18, 2013.) 
 
Monterey Whaling Station image. Click for full size.
By Robert W. Kerrigan, May 1936
3. Monterey Whaling Station
Note the Old Monterey-style marker in roughly the same place as the current marker, with the text reading: Old Whaling Station established in 1855. Restored about 1903.
Whaling Station - from the S. Levin Collection, Courtesy of the Historic American Buildings Survey image. Click for full size.
By Unknown, 1870
4. Whaling Station - from the S. Levin Collection, Courtesy of the Historic American Buildings Survey
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 7, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 361 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 7, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.   3, 4. submitted on February 18, 2013. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=63071

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 13, 2021