Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Collierville in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Presbyterian Church of Collierville

 
 
Presbyterian Church of Collierville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Judith Barber, February 6, 2013
1. Presbyterian Church of Collierville Marker
Inscription.  In 1844 Salem Presbyterian Church was established in southeast Shelby County. It remained there until 1871 and then relocated to Collierville. The name was changed to the Presbyterian Church of Collierville. The Presbyterians met at the Methodist Church until land was purchased at Walnut and Mulberry in 1885 for $100 from Mrs. Dora A. Clark. The first service was held in May, 1886. They remained here until their move in 1965 to the corner of Poplar Avenue and Peterson Lake Road.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1886.
 
Location. 35° 2.577′ N, 89° 40.005′ W. Marker is in Collierville, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Walnut Street and Mulberry Street, on the right when traveling south on Walnut Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 Walnut St, Collierville TN 38017, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint Andrew's Episcopal Church (a few steps from this marker); Treating the Wounded (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Walking Trail Start/End Kiosk
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Collierville (within shouting distance of this marker); Chalmers's Collierville Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Tom Brooks Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort/Stockade (about 300 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Collierville.
 
Presbyterian Church of Collierville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Judith Barber, February 6, 2013
2. Presbyterian Church of Collierville Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 8, 2013, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 461 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 8, 2013, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=63131

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 28, 2024