Bellaire in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Bellaire Presbyterian Church
In 1919 many members of Bellaire Union and others petitioned the First Presbyterian Church of Houston to establish a presence in the community. The Bellaire Mission was established on April 5, 1919, with the Rev. R.L. Jetton as pastor. Later that year the first church building was erected on land donated by D.T. Austin.
The Rev. Robert H. Bullock became the mission's first full-time pastor in 1940 and in 1942 a new brick sanctuary was dedicated. The mission became self-supporting in 1943 when the congregation became known as the “Bellaire Presbyterian Church.”
During the mid-1950s Bellaire Presbyterian helped establish several churches in the area. Membership in the congregation grew rapidly and in 1957 a new 1000-seat sanctuary was constructed at this site. The congregation reached 1,794 members by 1963.
Bellaire Presbyterian has played an important
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10615.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1821.
Location. 29° 42.322′ N, 95° 28.027′ W. Marker is in Bellaire, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Bellaire Boulevard and 3rd Street, on the right when traveling east on Bellaire Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5001 Bellaire Blvd, Bellaire TX 77401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bellaire Streetcar Line (within shouting distance of this marker); Texan Capture of Mexican Dispatches (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bellaire (approx. 0.2 miles away); Teas Nursery Company (approx. one mile away); City of West University Place (approx. 1.9 miles away); Morse-Bragg Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); Grace Morse's Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); Emancipation and African-American Migration (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bellaire.
Also see . . . The Church's Website. (Submitted on March 18, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 18, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 449 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 18, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.