Indianapolis in Marion County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
State capital was moved to Indianapolis, 1825, from Corydon. The capital built on this site in 1835 was razed in 1878 to make way for this State House, completed in 1888.
Erected by Indiana Historical Bureau. (Marker Number 49.1946.1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1825.
Location. 39° 46.106′ N, 86° 9.712′ W. Marker is in Indianapolis, Indiana, in Marion County. Marker is on North Capital Avenue near West Market Street, on the right when traveling south. Located at the east entrance to the State House. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Indianapolis IN 46204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Oliver Perry Morton (a few steps from this marker); The Lincoln Funeral Train (a few steps from this marker); Civil War Arsenal 1861 - 1864 (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Andrews Hendricks (about Indiana Woman's Suffrage (about 400 feet away); Indiana State House (about 500 feet away); The National Road (about 500 feet away); Abraham Lincoln (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Indianapolis.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 3, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 7, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,364 times since then and 29 times this year. Last updated on March 28, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 7, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.