Coalinga in Fresno County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
A.P. May Inc.
1903 – 1973
He started the store on a very small scale in the early part of 1894, on Front Street across from the railroad. The town consisted of one saloon, post office, the Sorroca Hotel, the Jackson Hotel, and a few residences.
In 1897 he married Stella D. Kerr, built a home on the corner of Fifth and Elm. He thought it was far enough away from the business district.
The brick store was built in 1902, and in 1903 he put up the row of brick stores along Fifth Street to Lacey’s Cafe. He built the two-story part of the store, on Fifth Street, in 1905. The second story being used as apartments.
Erected by Coalinga Lions Club.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1884.
Location. 36° 8.343′ N, 120° 21.553′ W. Marker is in Coalinga, California, in Fresno County. Marker is at the intersection of West Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West Forest Avenue, Coalinga CA 93210, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fredrick Tibbits and Louis O’Neill (a few steps from this marker); Coalinga’s Notorious Whiskey Row “1909” (a few steps from this marker); Sullivan Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Coalinga’s First Rail Station – 1891 (within shouting distance of this marker); Bordagaray’s (within shouting distance of this marker); Crescent Meat Co. (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Earthquake of 1983 (about 500 feet away); Amy Building (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coalinga.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 2, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 2, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.