Quihi in Medina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Town of Quihi
Distinguished pioneer and colonizer
Established in March, 1845 by ten
families in charge of Louis Huth,
agent for Castro
Many settlers were killed by Indians before 1860
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 5537.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road, and the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1845.
Location. 29° 23.486′ N, 99° 1.616′ W. Marker is in Quihi, Texas, in Medina County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 4517 and County Road 4520, on the left when traveling south on County Road 4517. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hondo TX 78861, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. General Woll's Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bethlehem Lutheran Church (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Bethlehem Lutheran ChurchQuihi Bethlehem Lutheran Church Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); New Fountain United Methodist Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Early New Fountain Community (approx. 1.9 miles away); Masonic Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); Vandenburg (approx. 5.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quihi.
More about this marker. One of the large granite "Star and Wreath" type monument markers placed over 75 years ago by the State of Texas during the state's centennial year of 1936.
Regarding Town of Quihi. Excerpt from a letter sent to the “Spirit of the Times” newspaper by Brevet Major W.S. Henry, 3rd U.S. Infantry, with the Great Government Train creating the “lower road” from San Antonio to El Paso:
June 6, 1849 – “On the 6th we marched 10 miles and encamped on a creek called Ki hi, amid luxuriant grass and plenty of wood. The face of the country for the first five miles was rolling, covered with a dense growth of mesquite and live oak. You then enter on a rich hog wallow prairie, anything but acceptable to tired teams. There are a few houses on the bank of the creek, which take the name of the village of Ki-hi. The settlement is German, and waving fields of corn give evidence of their industry. The creek was one but in name, for it wanted that gush of waters which is a perfect treat to the weary traveler.”
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 617 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 6, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.