Blacksburg in Montgomery County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Alwood Oak
Dedicated October 14, 2011 in tribute to William Bradford Alwood
In 1888, Professor William Preston hired William Bradfor Alwood as vice-director of the Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station. Alwood was the first professor and head of the Department of Horticulture, Mycology, and Entomology at Virginia Tech (then known as the Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and later as VPI). During Alwood's 16 years at VPI, his accomplishments set the stage for modern horticulture in Virginia.
Professor Alwood's research, teaching, service, and international outreach in horticulture, plant pathology, and entomology changed agriculture worldwide. He taught Virginians how to manage plant diseases and insect pests earning him the reputation as the savior of the Virginia fruit industry. Professor Alwood was
Alwood published widely and was respected worldwide by scientist, heads of state, and the general public. After leaving VPI, Alwood was appointed chief enologist for the USDA Bureau of Chemistry until the Prohibition era. An international leader in wine grapes and enology, in 1907 Alwood was awarded the prestigious Mérite Agricole medal by the French government. VPI recognized Alwood with a certificate of merit in 1923. Upon donating his vast library to VPI in 1927, President Julian Burruss recognized Alwood's loyalty as a Hokie with the following statement:
"The splendid service which you rendered this institution will ever be remembered and it is my hope that some day your name will be honored in some permanent manner, which will remain here for all time to let those who come after us know of your part in the making of this institution."... President Julian Burruss, Feb. 3, 1927
Erected 2011 by Virginia Tech Board of Visitors.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Horticulture & Forestry. A significant historical date for this entry is February 3, 1910.
Location. 37° 13.677′ N, 80° 25.401′ W. Marker is in Blacksburg, Virginia, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Drillfield Drive, on the left when travelingTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blacksburg VA 24060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Bradford Alwood (within shouting distance of this marker); April 16th Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Julian Ashby Burruss (within shouting distance of this marker); John Edward Williams (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Frank Leigh Robeson (about 500 feet away); Earl Bertram Norris (about 500 feet away); William MacFarland Patton (about 600 feet away); Thomas Marshall Hahn Jr. (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blacksburg.
Also see . . . The Alwood Oak - Dedicated Oct. 14, 2011. (Submitted on April 7, 2013, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 7, 2013, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 407 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 7, 2013, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 3. submitted on April 6, 2013, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.