Uvalde in Uvalde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Grand Opera House
Building has copper roof and corbeled bay window tower; had ornate stage and auditorium.
Now owned by former U.S. Vice President John Nance Garner and his son, Tully Garner.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2249.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment. In addition, it is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1891.
Location. 29° 12.623′ N, 99° 47.202′ W. Marker is in Uvalde, Texas, in Uvalde County. Marker is at the intersection of North Getty Street (U.S. 83) and West North Street, on the right when traveling south on North Getty StreetTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 W North St, Uvalde TX 78801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kincaid Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Uvalde County (within shouting distance of this marker); Uvalde County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Texas Wagon Yards (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Inge, Camp Dix, C.S.A. (about 300 feet away); Rice Hotel and Saddlery (about 400 feet away); The Uvalde "Leader-News" (about 400 feet away); Capt. William Benson (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Uvalde.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 380 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.