Dowagiac in Cass County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. Paul's Church / Episcopal Church
St. Paul's Church
Under the leadership of Justus Gage (1805-1875), this structure was built as a Universalist church. Completed at a cost of $3,000, it is Dowagiac's oldest public building. At the time of completion, it was the town's only auditorium. Women's rights advocates Victoria Woodhull, Belva Lockwood, Anna Shaw, Mary Livermore and Susan B. Anthony spoke here, as did black civil rights supporter Sojourner Truth. Performers appearing in the auditorium included Ole Bull, the Norse violinist. Episcopalians first met here in 1897. The Romanesque style exterior has remained virtually unchanged; however, the interior was remodeled extensively in 1959, when Dom Francis Bacon, O.S.B., (1903-1967) added mosaics and decorations reminiscent of very early churches.
The first recorded Episcopal gathering in Cass County was conducted by Bishop Philander Chase in 1832. In 1858, under the auspices of the Trinity Church of Niles, the first Episcopal services in Dowagiac were held. In 1897 the Reverend R.H.F. Gairdner of Niles helped establish
Erected 1984 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L1028A.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission, and the Unitarian Universalism (UUism) series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1942.
Location. 41° 59.082′ N, 86° 6.74′ W. Marker is in Dowagiac, Michigan, in Cass County. Marker is on Courtland Street, 0.1 miles west of Center Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 306 Courtland St, Dowagiac MI 49047, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dowagiac World War II - Korean Conflict - Vietnam War Memorial (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); 19th Michigan Infantry Memorial (about 600 feet away); Willis M. FarrCriffield-Whiteley House / Harry and Sara Ethel Whiteley (approx. ¼ mile away); Dowagiac World War I Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Dowagiac Civil War Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Indian Lake Cemetery (approx. 4.4 miles away); Sacred Heart of Mary Catholic Church (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dowagiac.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 23, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 515 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 23, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.