Babylon in Suffolk County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Babylon Railroad Company Trolley Route
In 1871, David S.S. Sammis started a horse-drawn trolley line to transport passengers from the Babylon railroad station to the ferry docks. In 1910, the line was electrified and extended west to the railroad station at Amityville.
Erected 2010 by Town of Babylon and Village of Babylon.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Sports. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
Location. 40° 42.033′ N, 73° 19.441′ W. Marker is in Babylon, New York, in Suffolk County. Marker can be reached from Railroad Avenue west of Deer Park Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Babylon NY 11702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. South Side R.R. (within shouting distance of this marker); Conklin House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Babylon's Heros World War I Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Suffrage Study Club (approx. 0.2 miles away); Babylon Town Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Babylon Village FountainRobert Moses (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Babylon Library (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Babylon.
More about this marker. The marker is mounted to the outside wall of the south side entrance to the Babylon Railroad Station.
Regarding Babylon Railroad Company Trolley Route. This is one in a series of markers dedicated in 2010 along the historic trolley route between Amityville and Babylon.
Also see . . .
1. Short Biography of David Sprague Sturgis Sammis. LongIsandGenealogy: David S.S. Sammis, founder of the Babylon Railroad Company:
d. 19 May 1895 at Babylon; Brights disease; son of Daniel Sammis, who served in the War of 1812; father of Joseph M. Sammis and five daughters; proprietor of the Surf Hotel on Fire Island; went into hotel business in New York City in 1848 and in 1856 built a hotel on Fire Island for 100 guests, which he soon enlarged; he introduced gas [lighting ?] and made the hotel first class; sold his interest in New York City hotels in 1858, to devote himself fully to the Surf Hotel and real estate ventures in Babylon; built a street railway for transporting guests from the railroad depot to the steamboat dock at Babylon; served as postmaster at Fire Island; organized the Babylon National Bank and the Babylon Water Company; leader in the incorporation of Babylon (Submitted on February 19, 2013.)
2. James Grover Reminisces About the Tracks. YouTube video:,br> In this short clip, James Grover (Babylon Village) reminisces about how the trolley tracks ran through town. (Submitted on February 19, 2013.)
3. Viewfinder: A Ride Through Babylon's History. Babylon Village Patch article (10/21/2011) by Jacqueline Sweet:
The trolley line route, illustrated with numerous photos showing how the route looks after a century. (Submitted on February 19, 2013.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 19, 2013, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 627 times since then and 13 times this year. Last updated on April 23, 2013, by Mary Cascone of Babylon, New York. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 19, 2013, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.