Near Brackettville in Kinney County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Officers' Club Open Mess
This building served Fort Clark from 1939 to 1944 and was named “Dickman Hall” after career cavalry officer, Maj. Gen. Joseph T. Dickman (1857-1927). The ground floor housed a lunge, dining room, tap room, kitchen, guest room, maid’s room and four rooms for visiting officers. The second floor held a spacious ballroom. The two-story building has a main hipped roof with gable roofed bays flanking a central arched portico entrance. A webwall stone veneer clads frame and clay tile construction. The building later became guest ranch headquarters and then a restaurant and lounge for the Fort Clark Springs Association.
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16424.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 29° 18.443′ N, 100° 25.207′ W. Marker is near Brackettville, Texas, in Kinney County. Marker is at the intersection of McClernand Road and Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 McClernand Rd, Brackettville TX 78832, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 2nd Cavalry Division at Fort Clark (within shouting distance of this marker); Seminole-Negro Indian Scout Detachment (within shouting distance of this marker); U.S. Army Unit Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Fight at Las Moras Spring (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Clark Historic District (about 400 feet away); Army Service Club (about 500 feet away); Officers Quarters 2-3 and 4 (about 600 feet away); Fort Clark (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brackettville.
More about this marker. The marker is located on the grounds of the Fort Clark Springs Asso. and is accessible to the public.
Regarding Officers' Club Open Mess. The building is recognized as a contributing structure to the Fort Clark Historic District. This distinctive building was the officers’ club for the 5th Cavalry Regiment, the 112th Cavalry Regiment, the 9th Cavalry Regiment and the 2nd Cavalry Division. The presence of this building is conclusively linked to Fort Clark’s significant contribution to United Sates Army heritage.On the eve of World War II the new club was an imposing structure, spacious, well appointed with modern conveniences and decorated in the Art Deco style of the era. “The Club” quickly became the pride of the officer
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 5, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 481 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 5, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.