Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Edgewood in San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

"Kelly No. 2" Flight Line

 
 
Kelly No. 2 Flight Line Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William F Haenn, May 11, 2013
1. Kelly No. 2 Flight Line Marker
Inscription.  In November 1916, Maj. Benjamin Foulois of the Aviation Section of the U.S. Army's Signal Corps chose a tract of land approximately three-fourths of a mile to the southeast of this spot to serve as a flying field for the Army Aviation Corps. In 1917, the site was named Camp Kelly and later Kelly Field in honor of Lt. George E.M. Kelly, who in 1911 had become the first American aviator to lose his life while piloting a military aircraft. Activities at the camp included both flight training and aircraft maintenance. In September 1917, Kelly Field's training activities moved north to this area, called "Kelly No. 2" to distinguish it from the original field.

The new flight line, extending 125 yards east and 2400 yards west of this site, consisted of numerous hangars, warehouses, barracks, repair shops, classrooms, and maintenance buildings. "Kelly No. 2" retained its training function from 1917 through 1942. Its Air Corps Advanced Flying School produced many prominent American aviators, including Charles Lindbergh and Claire Chennault. In 1955, the advent of new and larger aircraft prompted the extension of the existing runway, this necessitating
Kelly No. 2 Flight Line Marker site image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William F Haenn, May 11, 2013
2. Kelly No. 2 Flight Line Marker site
Click or scan to see
this page online
the demolition of the old "Kelly No. 2" flight line.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986

 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & SpaceWar, World I. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1917.
 
Location. 29° 23.07′ N, 98° 34.451′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. It is in Edgewood. Marker is on South Frank Luke Drive south of Buckner Drive, on the right when traveling south. Kelly AFB, Bldg 1600 in parking area for Twiing Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 205 S Frank Luke Dr, San Antonio TX 78226, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kearby Hall (approx. Ό mile away); Station "X" (approx. 0.3 miles away); Spaatz Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); F-15A "Eagle" (approx. half a mile away); F-106B (approx. 0.6 miles away); FB-111A (approx. 0.8 miles away); B-58 Hustler (approx. 0.9 miles away); Dedicated to Brigadier General Harold E. (Hal) Confer (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
 
Kelly Field colorized linen postcard. image. Click for full size.
circa 1930s
3. Kelly Field colorized linen postcard.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2023. It was originally submitted on May 12, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 705 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 12, 2013, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=65285

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Mar. 25, 2023