Windsor in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
The first permanent English settlement in Connecticut
On September 26, 1633, a company of men under Lieutenant William Holmes arrived by ship from the Plymouth Colony in Massachusetts, on invitation of the local Indians, and established a trading post near the junction of the Farmington and Connecticut Rivers. In 1635 these first settlers were joined by a larger group which came overland from Dorchester in the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Windsor, with Hartford and Wethersfield, formed the Colony of Connecticut in 1636
In the development of constitutional government three Windsor men have played prominent roles.
ROGER LUDLOW principal framer of the Fundamental Orders of Connecticut 1638, first written constitution of a self-governing people.
OLIVER ELLSWORTH on of final Committee of five which framed Constitution of the United States 1787, appointed one of the first two United States Senators from Connecticut, and became Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court.
JOHN M. NILES led reform movement which resulted in a new more democratic constitution for Connecticut 1818, later represented Connecticut in United States
Erected 1971 by Town of Windsor, Windsor Historical District Commission, and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1825.
Location. 41° 51.017′ N, 72° 38.633′ W. Marker is in Windsor, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is on Broad Street. The marker is in front of the Windsor Town Hall. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Windsor CT 06095, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Windsor World War I Monument (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Windsor Freight House (about 700 feet away); Gold Star Casualties of World War II (about 700 feet away); Windsor Train Station (about 800 feet away); The Warham Mill (approx. half a mile away); Horace H. Hayden, M.D.,D.D.S. (approx. 0.6 miles away); Major John Mason (approx. 0.7 miles away); Founders Of Windsor (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Windsor.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 479 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 6, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. 5, 6. submitted on June 8, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.