Bromo Arts District in Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
G. Krug & Son
The modest beginnings of the shop date back to 1810, when farmers traveling to and from the market stopped to have their horses shod and their wagons repaired by blacksmith Andrew Schwatke. In 1841, Schwatke transferred the enlarged business to Andrew Merker, who, in turn, sold to Gustav A. Krug, a young Bavarian immigrant and ancestor of all the subsequent Krug family owners. This distinguished firm's long record of fine blacksmithing includes restoration work for Colonial Williamsburg and for the Vieux Carré in New Orleans.
Erected by the City of Baltimore, G. Krug & Son and William Donald Schaefer, mayor.
Topics and series. Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers series list.
Location. 39° 17.564′ N, 76° 37.315′ W. Marker is in the Bromo Arts District in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on West Saratoga Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 415 West Saratoga Street, Baltimore MD 21201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Westside (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Provident Savings Bank (about 600 feet away); South Union Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Neighborhood Goes to Market (approx. 0.2 miles away); Baltimore Equitable Society (approx. 0.2 miles away); Building Atop the Burying Ground (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Sleep of Young Innocents (approx. 0.2 miles away); John McDonogh (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bromo Arts District.
More about this marker. The marker features a photograph, labeled "Members of G. Krug & Son posing ca 1895".
Also see . . . G. Krug & Son website. (Submitted on March 26, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,261 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 26, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.