New Ulm in Brown County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
— Historic Downtown New Ulm —
For years, the Crone store was the largest mercantile establishment in New Ulm. In 1857, Theodore Crone Sr. opened his general store at the corner of Broadway and Center Streets. Twelve years later, he erected this building, adding a substantial two-story addition on the north side in 1876. Crone played an important role in the city's economic growth as a founder of the Citizen's National Bank (1876). The family also owned the New Ulm Vinegar Works, Minnesota's largest vinegar factory, between 1885 and 1900.
Following Theodore Sr.'s death in 1891, three sons, Carl, Ferdinand, and Theodore Jr., took over the company, turning it into one of the largest retail stores in Minnesota outside the Twin Cities. Adolph Schulke bought the dry-goods business in 1926, although Carl F. Crone, grandson of the founder, continued to operate the clothing store. Schulke changed the appearance of the building, installing a "stroll front" with large plate glass windows for displaying "up-to-the-minute styles."
In 1946, Herbergers, a Saint Cloud department store, acquired the Crone buildings along with the Stuebe/Neumann block (1898)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1857.
Location. 44° 18.89′ N, 94° 27.617′ W. Marker is in New Ulm, Minnesota, in Brown County. Marker is on North Minnesota Street south of 2nd North Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 North Minnesota Street, New Ulm MN 56073, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Erd Building (a few steps from this marker); Dacotah House (a few steps from this marker); Grand Hotel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); New Ulm (about 400 feet away); Jacob Nix Platz (about 400 feet away); Boesch, Hummel, and Maltzahn Block (about 500 feet away); Arbeiter Hall (about 500 feet away); Kiesling House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Ulm.
More about this marker.
• The Crone Dry Goods Store (left, built 1876) and the Crone Clothing Store (right, built 1869) in the late 1870s
• Clerks in the Crone Store, circa 1900 · Images from the Brown County Historical Society
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 497 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 19, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.