Greenwood in Jackson County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The kitchen and carriage house were connected to the house by a latticed breezeway. Often travelers in the need of overnight rest were welcomed, and the guest register still exists. Prior to 1900, the well supplied many Greenwood residents their water. The house is built of yellow heart pine, the timbers are hand hewn and the doors and trim are hand made. The original full length second floor veranda was destroyed by a 1953 storm. The house is now owned by Lucy Whitall Erwin, Colonel Erwin's granddaughter.
Erected 1973 by Jackson County Historical Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. Former U.S. Presidents: #07 Andrew Jackson series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
Location. 30° 52.204′ N, 85° 9.708′ W. Marker is in Greenwood, Florida, in Jackson County. Marker is at the intersection of Fort Road (State Road 69) and Bryan Street (State Road 71), on the left when traveling east on Fort Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greenwood FL 32443, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Greenwood Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Great Oaks (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Hayes Long Mansion (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bascom School (approx. 4.6 miles away); Sylvania Plantation (approx. 5˝ miles away); General Andrew Jackson in Florida - 1818 (approx. 5.7 miles away); Wallace Zachariah Nolyar Bowers (approx. 5.9 miles away); Lovedale Baptist Cemetery (approx. 7.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenwood.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 834 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 11, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.