Dade Cty in Pasco County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Blanton Methodist Church
This church was built in 1906 by Will Heacock and Tom Jordan on land donated by Mr. and Mrs. Henry P. Blocker. The pioneer congregation which worshipped at Mt. Olive Church on the Dowling Place about a mile away had decided it was too far from "town." In 1928 when Townsend House Church near Hancock Lake discontinued regular services, several of its members joined here. The congregation diminished as the lumber and turpentine industries moved away. Most current members are kinfolk of the pioneer settlers.
Erected 1986 by Pasco Board of County Commissioners and the Historical Preservation Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1906.
Location. 28° 24.706′ N, 82° 14.805′ W. Marker is in Dade Cty, Florida, in Pasco County. Marker is at the intersection of Spring Valley Road and Sweetwater Road, on the right when traveling south on Spring Valley Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17481 Spring Valley Road, Dade City FL 33523, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker Chipco Township (approx. 1.9 miles away); St. Joseph Community (approx. 3.3 miles away); William M. and Emily Larkin (approx. 3.9 miles away); Owensboro (approx. 4.2 miles away); Dade City Grammar School (approx. 4.4 miles away); Whitehouse (approx. 4.4 miles away); Townsend House Church & Cemetery (approx. 4˝ miles away); Church Street Historic District (approx. 4˝ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 15, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 15, 2013, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.