Adams in Robertson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
The Town of Port Royal
Port Royal State Historic Park
Inscription under the photo in the lower left)
In 1799 Port Royal was established as a tobacco inspection point and in 1802 a post office was opened---the only one in the area for several years. Flatboats were built here annually to ship tobacco to New Orleans and other ports.
This is the Masonic lodge and general store built in 1858. This building still stands as the park headquarters and is the only remaining building from the town.
(Inscription under the photo in the lower center)
Port Royal’s commerce was due to a major stagecoach route crossing here at the Red River. Additionally, Sulphur Fork joins the
(Inscription to the left of the Town Plat photo in the upper right)
This is the plat of Port Royal as layed out in 1797. There were 36 half-acre lots. The road that would become the stagecoach route is called Spring Alley. You are standing at the top of Lot number 24.
(Inscription under the photo in the lower right)
The stagecoach route was called the Great Western Road. It came through Port Royal in the early 19th century, however the road itself is likely hundreds of years older. By the 1840s it was the main route out of Nashville to the west. Port Royal’s location on the route lended itself to having many stagecoach inns and hotels. This particular one was built before 1836.
Erected by Tennessee State Parks.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1785.
Location. 36° 33.233′ N, 87° 8.55′ W. Marker is in Adams, Tennessee, in Robertson County. Marker is on Old Clarksville Springfield Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Adams TN 37010, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 1859 Masonic Lodge & General Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Stores of Port Royal (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Port Royal (approx. 1.1 miles away); Renfroe's Station (approx. 3.3 miles away); Joseph Buckner Killebrew (1831-1906) (approx. 4.1 miles away); Red River Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Bell Witch (approx. 4.9 miles away); Fort Redmond (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Adams.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 13, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 619 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 13, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page.