Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kenosha in Kenosha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Site of the First Free School

 
 
Site of the First Free School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Fehrenbach, October 22, 2013
1. Site of the First Free School Marker
Inscription.  This boulder is placed by the Kenosha Chapter of Daughters of the American Revolution to mark the site of the first free school outside of New England in the Union. It was opened June 18, 1845. The pioneers in this work were:
Michael Frank
Josiah Bond
Henry B. Hinsdale
Charles Clement
John B. Jilson
Reuben Deming
F.W. Lyman
O.E. Dana
Hayes McKinley
Charles Durkee
Theodore Newell
Harvey Durkee
J.V. Quarles
Sereno Fisk
C. Lathan Sholes
Samuel Hale
Charles Sholes
 
Erected by the Kenosha Chapter of Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 18, 1958.
 
Location. 42° 34.958′ N, 87° 49.443′ W. Marker is in Kenosha, Wisconsin, in Kenosha County. Marker is at the intersection of 11th Avenue and 58th Street, on the left when traveling south on 11th Avenue. In Kenosha, streets run
Site of the First Free School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Fehrenbach, October 22, 2013
2. Site of the First Free School Marker
This is a view of the marker looking east along 58th Street.
Click or scan to see
this page online
east and west, and avenues run north and south. The marker is two blocks west of Sheridan Road / Wis STH 32, on 58th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kenosha WI 53140, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kenosha County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Congregational Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Civil War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Capt. David Leet and S Sgt. James Van Bendegom (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Matthew’s Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Gilbert M. Simmons Memorial Library (approx. ¼ mile away); The First Church in Kenosha (approx. 0.3 miles away); Reuben Deming (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kenosha.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 23, 2013, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 466 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 23, 2013, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • William J. Toman was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=69637

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 15, 2022