Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milton in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Rising Sun Lodge #4, F. & A.M., P.H.A.

 
 
Rising Sun Lodge #4, F. & A.M., P.H.A. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, October 6, 2013
1. Rising Sun Lodge #4, F. & A.M., P.H.A. Marker


Inscription.  The roots of African-American Masonry in this country can be traced to the period of the American Revolution, when founder Prince Hall and others established the first Masonic Lodge for men of color in Boston, Massachusetts. By the early 19th century organizational growth had extended to the port cities of Philadelphia and Wilmington. where residents of southern Delaware who were engaged in maritime and other commercial occupations were exposed to the Masonic Order. In March 1852, a group of 15 men from Milton area met at the home of Lott Purnell for the purpose of organizing a local Lodge. On April 1, 1853, Rising Sun Lodge #4, Free and Accepted Masons, Prince Hall Affiliation, recieved its charter. After meeting at various locations since its organization, the Lodge formerly occupied the present building in 1934. Constructed as a Presbyterian Church in the 1830s, the structure had been converted for use as a public school in 1876. It was used as such until 1892, when it was conveyed to the trustees of Union Methodist Episcopal Church. Sale of the property to the Lodge was completed in 1939. Today, the members of Rising
Rising Sun Lodge #4, F. & A.M., P.H.A. and Marker on Chesnut Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, October 6, 2013
2. Rising Sun Lodge #4, F. & A.M., P.H.A. and Marker on Chesnut Street
Click or scan to see
this page online
Sun Lodge #4 continue to follow the traditional Masonic precepts of Brotherhood, Charity, and Truth, in service to the community.
 
Erected 2007 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-215.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansCharity & Public WorkFraternal or Sororal Organizations. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1852.
 
Location. 38° 46.273′ N, 75° 18.756′ W. Marker is in Milton, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Chestnut Street (State Road 249) near Church Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milton DE 19968, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Milton (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Goshen United Methodist Church (approx. Ό mile away); Golden Rule Lodge #17, I.O.O.F. (approx. Ό mile away); St. John The Baptist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Goshen Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Governor Joseph Maull Carey (approx. 0.4 miles away); Governor James Ponder (approx. 0.4 miles away); Milton Fire Department, Inc. (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milton.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 640 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 29, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=69807

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 13, 2022