Goshen in Elkhart County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
A History of the Winona / Bethany Christian Schools
Winona Railway Trail
A History of the Winona
In the early 1900's, Indiana had more miles of electric train lines than any other state in the United States. The lines blossomed primarily at Indianapolis, radiating out to transport people and goods to and from the bustling city. Indianapolis lines ran only as far north as Peru and northern Indiana lines ran only as far south as Goshen. A link between the two quickly became necessary.
In 1910, the link was created: the Winona Interurban Railway Company connected Goshen, Warsaw and Peru with sixty-five miles of trail. This additional line made it possible to travel from Michigan City to Indianapolis and back again in the same day.
In 1926 the line, now the Winona Railway Company, focused less on passenger service and more on freight service. In 1934, passenger service ceased all together. The transportation of eggs, coal, and sand became the main business for the line. Soon after this transition, diesel and gas engines replaced the electric locomotives.
In 1945, competition from the flourishing trucking industry threatened the stability of
Bethany Christian Schools
On June 4, 1953, the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference chartered the building of a high school, which opened on this site on September 7, 1954. Enrollment increases over the years led to building additions in 1957, 1964 and 1989. A middle school was established in 1996.
For several centuries, this land was home to a Pottawattomi tribe. In 1829 John W. Violett laid claim to 825 acres that included this property. In 1870, his son William built the brick house located at the southwest corner of this property, which is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Today, Bethany continues the original mission to provide an excellent Christian education. All students, regardless of their religious affiliation, who agree to live by the community guidelines and who satisfy the admission requirements are welcome.
Erected by Goshen Parks & Recreation Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1863.
Location. 41° 32.795′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2904 S Main Street, Goshen IN 46526, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Waterford Elementary School (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Engines of the Winona (approx. 0.3 miles away); Violett Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); A History of the Winona (approx. one mile away); Pioneer Dierdorff Cemetery Folk Lore (approx. one mile away); Goshen College (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Goshen Dam and Millrace Hydraulic Canal (approx. 1.2 miles away); Wyland Brothers Landing (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goshen.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 550 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 30, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. 8. submitted on March 16, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.