Wilson in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Site of Log House Built in 1818 by Reuben Wilson
Erected 1976 by Wilson Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1818.
Location. 43° 18.476′ N, 78° 49.822′ W. Marker is in Wilson, New York, in Niagara County. Marker is on Young Street, 0.1 miles west of Bay Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is in front of the second house before the bridge, westbound on Young Street from downtown. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 273 Young Street, Wilson NY 14172, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Corner of Pettit and Bay Street (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Greenwood Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wilson Collegiate Institute 1845 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pettit Street and Chestnut Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Greenwood (approx. ¼ mile away); Tabor Bridge (approx. ¼ mile away); Veterans MemorialSchooner Fleetwing (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilson.
Regarding Site of Log House Built in 1818 by Reuben Wilson. Reuben Wilson, founder of the Town of Wilson, built a cabin and moved here in 1818 from his original cabin on East Lake Road. He had purchased a sawmill two years earlier that was very near this site. Also in 1818, he was appointed justice of the peace, presiding over the first town election on April 6, 1819. He was elected Supervisor and served ten years. Circa 1825 he built this frame house of two stories including some walls of the cabin. He built a grist mill which halted the practice of settlers taking their wheat across Lake Ontario to Port Hope in Canada to be ground into flour.
Please see the Wilson Historical Society link below for more information about Reuben Wilson and this site.
This house is now in the Village of Wilson, incorporated 1858.
References: The Wilson Story Part I, Wilson Historical Society Newsletter, Volume 39, no. 3, March 2010. Croop, Donald W., Wilson Sketchbook, Wilson Historical Society, 1994.
Also see . . . Wilson Historical Society. (Submitted on December 2, 2013, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2013, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 420 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2013, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.