Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Hutchings, Sealy & Co. Buildings
The buildings' Renaissance revival style is represented by the heavily rusticated stone arches featured on its entryways, terra cotta detailing on the parapets and entablatures, evenly spaced columns and pilasters, elaborate stone cornice, and arcading windows. The foundation walls are six feet wide at the base and made of pressed brick with ashlar patterned sandstone facing.
The corner building, which features the name "Hutchings" on its entablature, was originally constructed for John H. Hutchings. The adjoining office building, featuring the name "Sealy" on its entablature, was built for John Sealy. These majestic buildings are reminders of a grand era in Galveston's history and the philanthropic legacy of
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7496.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1895.
Location. 29° 18.422′ N, 94° 47.72′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of Strand Street and 24th Street, on the right when traveling west on Strand Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Galveston TX 77550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hutchings, Sealy & Co. (here, next to this marker); Nicholas J. Clayton (a few steps from this marker); Mitchell Street (a few steps from this marker); Merchants Mutual Insurance Company Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Magale Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Greenleve, Block & Co. Building (within shouting distance of this marker); 1871 Thomas Jefferson League Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Saengerfest Park (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 3, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 479 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 3, 2013, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.