Natchez in Adams County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Clarence “Bud” Scott, Sr., led one of the most popular dance bands in the Mississippi-Louisiana region for several decades beginning around 1900. Scott (1876-1938), a lifelong Natchez resident, was renowned among both white and black audiences. Although the dances were segregated, the entire community could hear Scott when he sang from the balcony of the Natchez Confectionery at this site. Scott’s son, Clarence, Jr., (1908-1940), also known as Bud, led the band in its later years.
Bud Scott was the most famous African American musician in Mississippi during the early decades of the twentieth century. Across the state and in Louisiana, newspapers that rarely covered African Americans advertised and reported his appearances in glowing terms; some ads promoted his band as “the best orchestra in the South—bar none.” The 1938 Federal Writers’ Project called him “Mississippi’s own pioneer in jazz” and named him among the six most nationally prominent Mississippi-born musicians. He achieved such stature strictly through his legendary live performances—he
Scott, born on October 25, 1876, was also known as “Professor,” a title accorded respected orchestra leaders of the era. Best known for his singing, he was also a composer who played mandolin and other instruments. His band, which often carried twelve to fifteen pieces, used various names, including the Syncopators and, on one 1902 theatrical bill, Bud Scott and his Senegambian Assistants. The group kept pace with the times, evolving from a ragtime string band into a hot jazz outfit and then a swing orchestra with a horn section. Such bands’ repertoires commonly included blues, rendered as both vocals and instrumentals, and Scott’s versatility extended from ballads to cakewalks to the latest Broadway hits.
Several band members, including Scott’s son Clarence Jr., son-in-law Walter King, Jim Ferguson, and Alonzo Skillens, lived at or next to Scott’s house on Union Street. Pianist Tom Griffin was among the bandsmen who went on to lead their own groups or perform as featured acts. Other bands active in Natchez by the 1930s included Monk Hoggatt and his Revelers and the Otis Smith Orchestra. Scott, who died on November 23, 1938, was in poor health in his final years and unable to sing, but Bud Scott, Jr., and the band continued to perform. Scott, Jr., was preparing for an upcoming show with the band in Greenville when he perished in the famous Rhythm Club fire of April 23, 1940. Arthur “Bud” Scott (1890-1949), a renowned New Orleans jazz musician, was not related, but biographies of the various Bud Scotts have often been confused.
Erected 2011 by Mississippi Blues Commission. (Marker Number 123.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Arts, Letters, Music • Entertainment. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi Blues Trail series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1799.
Location. 31° 33.605′ N, 91° 24.179′ W. Marker is in Natchez, Mississippi, in Adams County. Marker is on Main Street east of North Pearl Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 425 Main Street, Natchez MS 39120, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Intersection of Main and North Pearl streets (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Bank of Mississippi (within shouting distance of this marker); United States Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); In Gratitude (within shouting distance of this marker); Intersection of Main and South Commerce streets (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Natchez Hotel (about 300 feet away); Intersection of North Pearl and Franklin streets (about 400 feet away); "The Natchez Burning" (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchez.
Also see . . . Mississippi Blues Trail. (Submitted on December 21, 2013.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 20, 2013, by Robert M. Cook, Jr. of Biloxi, Mississippi. This page has been viewed 943 times since then and 236 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 20, 2013, by Robert M. Cook, Jr. of Biloxi, Mississippi. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.