Walterboro in Colleton County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1957 by The Colleton County Historical Society. (Marker Number 15-11.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 54.259′ N, 80° 39.549′ W. Marker is in Walterboro, South Carolina, in Colleton County. Marker is on Wichman Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Walterboro SC 29488, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Walterborough Library Society (a few steps from this marker); Bethel Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Walterborough Academy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Colleton County Veterans War Memorial Colleton County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Confederate Monument (approx. half a mile away); Walterboro (approx. half a mile away); Walterboro Jail (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Walterboro.
More about this marker. Hickory Valley: (Witsell Street) During September of 1980, Hickory Valley was designated as Walterboro's second historic district. Hickory Valley , largely a residential area, is located in the northwest corner of Walterboro. It contains 23 structures, 19 of which were deemed by the S.C. Department of Archives & History to contribute to the historic character of the district. Originally settled by Lowcountry planters, the area was a home for some of the town's founders and most prominent families. Most of the buildings were constructed between 1821 and 1929. .....Walterboro-Colleton Chamber of Commerce
Also see . . . Wikipedia entry. Walterboro (originally spelled Walterborough) was founded in 1783 as a summer retreat for local planters looking to escape their malaria-ridden, lowcountry plantations. The original settlement was located on a hilly area, covered with pine and hickory trees and named "Hickory Valley." Two of the earliest settlers were Paul and Jacob Walter. The two brothers owned plantations in nearby Jacksonboro, SC. Paul's small daughter Mary was taken ill with malaria, a common disease amongst the families who built their plantations in the marshy areas of the Lowcountry, suitable to rice production. To save Mary's life the two brothers went looking for a more healthy location in which to live during the summer months when mosquitos abounded and started the town that was later named for them. (Submitted on April 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,124 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 14, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page.