Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wilson in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Port of Entry Marker and Wilson Boat House

 
 
Port of Entry Marker and Wilson Boat House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anton Schwarzmueller, January 13, 2014
1. Port of Entry Marker and Wilson Boat House Marker
Inscription.  This stone commemorates Wilson Harbor as a Port of Entry. The early growth of Wilson Harbor was spearheaded by Luther Wilson (first son of our founder Reuben Wilson). In the late 1800's this area contained many boathouses and storehouses, used to store small rowboats and, in later years, early powered launches used for fishing. These boats were also used to ferry people to and from Sunset Island. Summer resort guests, along with local people, would rent rowboats, canoes, fishing poles and bait, after which they would spend a day on the lake or in the harbor. The structure that is now the current Wilson Boat House was built in the early 1900's as a fresh fish market. A large motor launch was used for fishing and to provide ferry service to Sunset Island. It has been added to and remodeled many times over the years and has even survived a fire in the 1950's. - as told by C. F. Horton. Wilson Boathouse & Fish Market circa 1930's.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is September 25, 1851.
 
Location. 43° 18.992′ N, 78° 49.994′ W. Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is in Wilson, New York, in Niagara County. Marker is at the intersection of Harbor Street and Ontario Street, on the left on Harbor Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 57 Harbor Street, Wilson NY 14172, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wilson Harbor (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Government Piers at Twelve Mile Creek, Wilson, New York (about 700 feet away); Lake Island Park, Wintergreen Island, Tugwell Island & Clark Island (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Lake Island Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Park and Harbor Streets (approx. 0.3 miles away); Greenwood Veterans' Memorial Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Vietnam Memorial in Memory of 1st Lt. Michael E. Witkop (approx. 0.3 miles away); A Solemn Tribute to the Men and Women of Wilson who Served (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilson.
 
Southwest View of Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anton Schwarzmueller, January 13, 2014
2. Southwest View of Marker
The stone to the left holds the Wilson Harbor Port of Entry Marker. The Wilson Boat House, closed for the season, is in the background. The sidewalk is along Ontario Street, ending and leading to the piers, water treatment plant, and public parking.
Wilson Harbor Port of Entry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anton Schwarzmueller, January 13, 2014
3. Wilson Harbor Port of Entry Marker
Wilson Harbor Port of Entry Sept. 25, 1851 to June 30, 1907. Wilson Historical Society 1975.
Northwest View Wilson Harbor Port of Entry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anton Schwarzmueller, January 13, 2014
4. Northwest View Wilson Harbor Port of Entry Marker
The west pier and Lake Ontario are in the background. The Toronto skyline was visible on the horizon by the pier beacon, but cannot be seen here due to the limited picture resolution.
Wilson Boat House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anton Schwarzmueller, January 13, 2014
5. Wilson Boat House
Closed for the season. A web cam is perched on the gold capped tower on the left.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 12, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 22, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 538 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 22, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=71438

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024