Santa Cruz in Santa Cruz County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Surfing Was First Brought Here By Hawaiian Princes
During the summer of 1885, three young Hawaiian princes rode the waves at the mouth of the San Lorenzo River on Redwood planks the ordered cut in the shape of olo surfboards by the local timber mill.
H.M. Queen Kapi’olani’s nephews:
H.R.H. Prince Jonah Küniö Kalaniana’ole
H.R.H. Prince David La’amea Kahalepouli Käwananakoa
H.R.H Prince Edward Abnel Keliianhonui
While attending St. Matthew’s Hall Military School in San Mateo, stayed during their vacation with the Swan Family in Santa Cruz and started a craze by bringing for the first time the royal Hawaiian sport of surfing to the Pacific Coast of the Americas.
A gift to the City of Santa Cruz from the Käwananako and Marignoli Families.
Erected by Käwananako and Marignoli Families.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Sports.
Location. 36° 57.094′ N, 122° 1.598′ W. Marker is in Santa Cruz, California, in Santa Cruz County. Marker can be reached from West Cliff Drive, on the left when Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 701 West Cliff Drive, Santa Cruz CA 95060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 54th Coast Artillery Army Regiment War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); History of Surfing in Santa Cruz (approx. ¼ mile away); Saint Joseph Marello (approx. ¼ mile away); O’Neill’s Surf Shop (approx. ¾ mile away); The Cocoanut Grove (approx. 0.9 miles away); Before the Boardwalk (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk (approx. one mile away); The Plunge (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Cruz.
Also see . . .
1. History of Surfing in California. The history of surfing in California dates back to 1885. At that time, three Hawaiian princes were attending school in San Mateo. They traveled to Santa Cruz and rode waves at the mouth of the San Lorenzo river using surfboards made out of local redwood. (Submitted on February 1, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
2. Santa Cruz Lighthoues - Lighthouse Friends. Santa Cruz, located on the northern side of Monterey Bay, was home to a busy port in the mid 1800s, with ships dropping anchor in the harbor to take on loads of redwood, lime, and agricultural products. Authorities felt a lighthouse was needed (Submitted on February 1, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 1, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 369 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on February 1, 2014, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.