Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gallaudet in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Education for All

Hub, Home, Heart

 

— Greater H Street NE Heritage Trail —

 
Education for All Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
1. Education for All Marker
Inscription.  
Gallaudet University is world renowned as the premier institution for higher education for deaf and hard of hearing students. It opened as the Columbia Institution for the Instruction of the Deaf and Dumb and Blind in 1856 on land donated by former Postmaster General Amos Kendall. In 1864 Congress chartered its collegiate program, which President Abraham Lincoln signed into law. The school's current name honors Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet, founder of the first school for the deaf in the United States and father of the university's first president, Edward Miner Gallaudet.

Gallaudet was designated a university in 1986. Two years later the university selected its first deaf president after students, supported by faculty, staff, alumni, the national deaf community, and national leaders, demanded a "Deaf President Now!" Their effort launched a movement leading to important laws expanding access to communications, including the landmark Americans with Disabilities Act in 1990. Gallaudet students study in both American Sign Language and English at the university recognized as the center of American Deaf Culture.

"Gallaudet College"
Back of Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
2. Back of Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
is a National Historic Landmark, and the original campus (1866-1878) is in the National Register of Historic Places.

Just east of the Gallaudet campus is the Trinidad neighborhood, named for the former estate of DC banker and philanthropist William Wilson Corcoran (1798-1888). Among Corcoran's legacies to his city are the former Riggs Bank, Oak Hill Cemetery, and the Corcoran Gallery of Art. In 1875 Corcoran donated Trinidad to Columbian College (George Washington University's predecessor), which sold it to Washington Brick Machine Company. Washington Brick eventually sold its property for housing lots.
 
Erected 2012 by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 8.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Greater H Street Heritage Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1856.
 
Location. 38° 54.283′ N, 76° 59.676′ W. Marker is in Gallaudet in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker is at the intersection of Florida Avenue Northeast and 8th Street Northeast, on the right when traveling west on Florida Avenue Northeast. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1131 8th Street Northeast, Washington DC 20002, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Leonard M. Elstad (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet (about
Education for All Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
3. Education for All Marker
300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Laurent Clerc (about 300 feet away); Chapel Hall (about 400 feet away); Site of the Rose Cottage (about 500 feet away); Edward Miner Gallaudet (about 600 feet away); Brickyards to Buildings (about 700 feet away); "Ole Jim" (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gallaudet.
 
Gallaudet University Entrance image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
4. Gallaudet University Entrance
Fowler Hall image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
5. Fowler Hall
Gallaudet Pharmacy Today image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, September 29, 2012
6. Gallaudet Pharmacy Today
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 6, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 548 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on February 11, 2014, by A. Taylor of Laurel, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 6, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=71685

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 10, 2022