Near Abbeville in Henry County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Henry County Training School
School operated for 53 years until closed June 30, 1970. During this time it served as principal educational center for black citizens of Henry County, graduating a total of 1297 students.
Erected 1980 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. A significant historical date for this entry is June 30, 1889.
Location. 31° 34.671′ N, 85° 19.019′ W. Marker is near Abbeville, Alabama, in Henry County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 25 and County Road 225, on the right when traveling south on County Road 25. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Abbeville AL 36310, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alabama's First Peanut Oil Mill (approx. 2˝ miles away); Liberty Enlightening the World Abbeville Southern Railroad / Pelham House (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Southeast Alabama Agricultural School / First Free Secondary School in Alabama (approx. 3.9 miles away); A County Older Than the State (approx. 4 miles away); Henry, The Mother County (approx. 4 miles away); Nordan's (approx. 4 miles away); The Bethune-Kennedy House (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abbeville.
Regarding Henry County Training School. Designed and built by Rosa Parks’ father, James McCauley.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,133 times since then and 158 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.