Fenner in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Clipper Divisional Camp
Camp Clipper - Desert Training Center
— California-Arizona Maneuver Area —
A total of 13 infantry divisions and 7 armored divisions plus numerous smaller units were trained in this harsh environment. The training center was in operation for almost two years and was closed early in 1944 when the last units were shipped overseas. During the brief period of operation over one million American soldiers were trained for combat.
The 33rd & 93rd Infantry Divisions were trained here.
This monument is dedicated to all the soldiers that served here, and especially those who gave their lives in battle, ending the Holocaust & defeating the armed forces of Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy and Imperial Japan.
Erected 1991 by the Billy Holcomb Chapter of the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus, Cal-trans, Essex Maintenance Station and in cooperation with the Bureau of Land Management, Needles Resource Area; on October 13th. (Marker Number 985.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, World II. In addition, it is included in the Desert Training Center, and the E Clampus Vitus series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1942.
Location. 34° 48.49′ N, 115° 13.185′ W. Marker is in Fenner, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker is on Interstate 40 6 miles east of the Essex Road Interchange, on the right when traveling east. The Plaque is located in the east-bound Fenner Rest Area on I-40 about 38 miles west of Needles. It is located to the west of the rest area buildings. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Essex CA 92332, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Wilkie Safety Roadside Rest Area At Fenner (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pah-Ute Creek (approx. 11.6 miles away); Army Camp at Goffs (approx. 11.7 miles away); Goffs Schoolhouse (approx. 11.7 miles away).
Also see . . . Historic California Posts: Camp Clipper (Camp Essex)(Submitted on December 30, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.)
1. Marker Dedication Weekend
Camp Clipper was the 7th of the Desert Training Center markers to commemorate desert training camps of World War II. A second marker was also dedicated on this weekend commemorating the Goffs Schoolhouse. At this event the local Sheriff came to visit our campsite. The kind soul returned some lost Clampers he found wondering about the desert confused. The Sheriff cautioned it may be wise to instruct members in the "lay of the land" and the need to drink water at future events.
SOURCE: Billy Holcomb Chapter 1069 35th Anniversary Plaque Book by Phillip Holdaway
— Submitted December 19, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 30, 2006, by Joseph Beeman of Upland, California. This page has been viewed 2,751 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on March 12, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 30, 2006, by Joseph Beeman of Upland, California. 3. submitted on December 26, 2012, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 4. submitted on December 30, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.