Goshen in Elkhart County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Buffalo & Mississippi Railroad
Pumpkinvine Nature Trail
When the Buffalo & Mississippi Railroad merged with the Michigan Southern Railroad in 1850, a round house was built in Goshen to accommodate the railroad's scheduled one train per week. The Buffalo & Mississippi Railroad also furnished the Charter for the construction of the Goshen Branch. The Round House was completed in the fall of 1851 and the first train arrived with great fanfare in 1852. This bridge on Bridge Street is the only remaining structure of the Buffalo & Mississippi Railroad.
Erected by Goshen Parks & Recreation Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1832.
Location. 41° 35.31′ N, 85° 49.703′ W. Marker is in Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Goshen IN 46528, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Goshen’s Carnegie Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); Goshen World War I Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Elkhart County Honor Roll (approx. 0.3 miles away); Elkhart County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Historic Goshen Police Booth (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Elkhart County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Old Goshen High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Howard W. Hawks (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Goshen.
Also see . . . An Old Indiana Railroad Charter: The Buffalo & Mississippi Railroad Company. A June 1912 article in The Indiana Magazine of History. (Submitted on March 31, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 31, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 480 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 31, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.