Winters in Yolo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
J. Robert Chapman Memorial Bridge
The Southern Pacific Railroad replaced the 1875 wood trestle bridge with this steel Pratt truss railroad bridge in 1906. On April 1, 1908, a celebration was held dedicating this bridge and the new "Yolo-Solano Concrete Bridge" for automobiles. The celebration was attended by 3000 people, for which the Chamber of Commerce published a special illustrated brochure.
In 1977, Southern Pacific donated the bridge and a 60 foot right-of-way on either side of Putah Creek to the City of Winters, for the use of visitors on foot and bicycle. The generous gift was made with the encouragement of Southern Pacific Vice President and Chief Counsel
In 2006 the City of Winters undertook the rehabilitation of the formerly dilapidated railroad bridge, now reborn for safe transit and viewing of Putah Creek by strollers and cyclists.
The renovated bridge is dedicated to the memory of Winters native Robert Chapman, who server the city for 21 years, 14 years as mayor.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 38° 31.238′ N, 121° 58.069′ W. Marker is in Winters, California, in Yolo County. Marker is on Winters Rd, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winters CA 95694, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Vaca Valley Railroad (here, next to this marker); Hotel De Vilbiss (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cradwick Building (about 600 feet away); Wolfskill Grant (approx. 1.3 miles away); Halfway House (approx. 7.2 miles away); Village of Silveyville (approx. 7.2 miles away); Sacramento Valley National CemeteryThe Methodist Church of Dixon (approx. 9.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winters.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 8, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 710 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 8, 2014, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.