Gordon in Houston County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Gordon Baptist Church
Baptists of Gordon first erected a brush arbor church, Hope Arbor, circa 1819. On May 16, 1867 James Pynes gave one acre and timber to build a church in the town center. Pynes, William Wood and John T. Davis, Building Committee, signed the contract; 41 members pledged amountsfrom $5 to $500. Completed in 1868, it had a high portico with white columns and along flight of steps across the width of the portico. A square steeple with belfry topped the roof. Inside were wooden benches and a rear balcony. This wooden building later burned.
Erected 2004 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Gordon Baptist Church and Dothan Landmarks Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1826.
Location. 31° 8.716′ N, 85° 5.861′ W. Marker is in Gordon, Alabama, in Houston County. Marker is at the intersection of Leslie Street and Church Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Leslie Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 310 Leslie Street, Gordon AL 36343, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gordon Cemetery / Early Gordon Leaders (approx. 0.6 miles away); Confederate Navy Yard, Saffold (approx. 4˝ miles away in Georgia); Liberty Baptist Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Ashford United Methodist Church (approx. 8˝ miles away); Incorporation of Ashford/Ashford - a Unique Name (approx. 8.6 miles away); Ashford Centennial (approx. 8.6 miles away); Ashford Depot (approx. 8.7 miles away); The Chacato People (approx. 9.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on December 24, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 426 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.