Newport in Pend Oreille County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
Corliss Steam Engine
"The Big Wheel"
22 in. cylinder – 42 in. stroke
120 lbs. PSI steam pressure
63,000 lbs. in weight
16 Ft. in diameter
42 in. face
20,000 lbs. in weight
The Big Wheel was manufactured by Allis Chalmers in 1909 and moved to Newport by the Fidelity Lumber Co. It was in continuous service for 55 yrs. cutting over 1 billion feet of lumber.
In 1964 the engine was donated to the Newport JC’s by the Diamond National Corporation to preserve a part of a passing era. The Newport JC’s then moved and erected the engine at this site.
It was dedicated by Gov. Daniel J. Evans June 14, 1965 and presented to the city of Newport.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 48° 10.675′ N, 117° 2.633′ W. Marker is in Newport, Washington, in Pend Oreille County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 2 and South Washington Avenue, on the rightTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 402 South Washington Avenue, Newport WA 99156, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Albeni Falls Dam at a Glance (approx. 2.2 miles away in Idaho); Albeni Falls (approx. 2.2 miles away in Idaho).
More about this marker. This is a large wooden marker in somewhat weathered condition.
Also see . . .
1. Newport -- Thumbnail History.
“Big Wheel,” the Reynolds Corliss steam engine and flywheel from the old Diamond Match Company sawmill at Albeni Falls. (Submitted on May 7, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. George Henry Corliss.
In 1856 the Corliss Steam Engine Company was incorporated with Mr. Corliss as president, and his brother, William Corliss, as treasurer. A modest factory at the time of its erection, the Corliss works grew rapidly until, at the time of the founder's death, in 1888, the floor space included in the buildings amounted to about five acres, and over a thousand hands were employed there. The works grew in response to the great increase of the market for these remarkable engines, which in a few years had spread all over this country and reached to Europe. (Submitted on May 7, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 7, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 614 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on May 7, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.