Ropesville in Hockley County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ropesville Resettlement Project
Initiated by a committee out of Lubbock (20 mi. NE), this project was located on land near the already established town of Ropesville. Federal money was used to construct homes, wells, and farm buildings. The first 33 families, chosen for their initiative and willingness to work, settled into their new homes in 1936. By the end of 1939, a total of 77 families were working and living in the project. A community manager, assisted by a home economist, provided guidance to participants in the Ropesville program.
The project ended officially in 1943, when the Ropesville Farms came under individual ownership. A community building, constructed for the people of the farms in 1939, was moved to this
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4345.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1933.
Location. 33° 24.574′ N, 102° 9.144′ W. Marker is in Ropesville, Texas, in Hockley County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Avenue and Boyd Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Main Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ropesville TX 79358, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Ropesville Resettlement Project (a few steps from this marker); Site of Primrose School (approx. 1.1 miles away); Ropesville Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Meadow Cemetery (approx. 5.6 miles away); Meadow United Methodist Church (approx. 5.8 miles away); An Early Native American Resident (approx. 5.9 miles away); Meadow Depot (approx. 5.9 miles away); Brooks Blacksmith Shop (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ropesville.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 8, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 594 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 8, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.