Greenup in Greenup County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Steam Furnace / Iron made in Kentucky
A major producer since 1791, Ky. ranked 3rd in US in 1830s, 11th in 1965. Charcoal timber, native ore, limestone supplied material for numerous furnaces making pig iron, utensils, munitions in the Hanging Rock, Red River, Between Rivers, Rolling Fork, Green River Regions. Old charcoal furnace era ended by depletion of ore and timber and the growth of railroads.
Built by Shreve Brothers in 1824, stood 3 ¼ mi. south. First blast furnace in the Hanging Rock Iron Region to operate blowing engines by steam power rather than water. Charcoal-fueled, 28 ft. high, 8 ½ ft. across, produced 3 tons of iron in 24 hours, mostly cast at furnace into utensils. Abandoned after 1860.
Marker presented by Armco Steel Corp.
Erected 1967 by Kentucky Historical Society-Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1008.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Appalachian Iron FurnacesKentucky Historical Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1791.
Location. 38° 33.012′ N, 82° 47.016′ W. Marker is in Greenup, Kentucky, in Greenup County. Marker is on Wurtland Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greenup KY 41144, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Swigert (approx. ¼ mile away); McConnell House Complex (approx. 0.3 miles away); John M. McConnell House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jesse Stuart (1906-1984) (approx. 1.9 miles away); Race Track (approx. 2.1 miles away); Caroline Furnace / Iron Made in Kentucky (approx. 2.1 miles away); E. K. Railway (approx. 2.8 miles away); Greenup “Town Fathers” (approx. 3½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greenup.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 17, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 410 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 17, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.