Campton in Wolfe County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Gateway to Appalachia
Education has always played a prominent role in Wolfe County. Hazel Green Academy, founded in 1880 by W.O. Mize, J.T. Day and G.B. Swango, educated students until 1963. Kentucky Wesleyan Academy opened in Campton in 1896 and closed in 1912. The Alvan Drew School was founded in Pine Ridge in 1913; today, as the Dessie Scott Children’s Home, it continues its service of
The Old Burial Grounds in Campton is the resting place for many of Wolfe County’s founders including Fielden Hanks, the Uncle of Abraham Lincoln.
Wolfe County is rich in culture, heritage and natural beauty. It is known as the friendliest town in the mountains.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Education • Horticulture & Forestry. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
Location. 37° 44.102′ N, 83° 32.826′ W. Marker is in Campton, Kentucky, in Wolfe County. Marker is on Court Street. The marker is located on the grounds of the Wolfe County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Campton KY 41301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wolfe County War Memorial (here, next to this marker); USA Gens. Morgan CSA (a few steps from this marker); Wolfe County, 1860 (a few steps from this marker); Swift's Silver Camp (a few steps from this marker); Wolfe County Veterans Wall (within shouting distance of this marker); Alvan Drew School (approx. 4 miles away); Hazel Green Academy (approx. 8½ miles away); a different marker also named USA Gens. Morgan CSA (approx. 8½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Campton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 20, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 493 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 20, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.