Ben Wheeler in Van Zandt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ben Wheeler Community
Ancel Clough, heir to George Clough, sold 50 acres in 1885 to Professor James F. Davidson. In 1890, Davidson and J.W. Downs established the Alamo Institute. The first school of higher learning in Van Zandt
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16917.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Postal Mail and Philately marker series.
Location. 32° 26.709′ N, 95° 42.272′ W. Marker is in Ben Wheeler, Texas, in Van Zandt County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 279 and Farm to Market Road 858, on the left when traveling south on Route 279. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1551 FM 279, Ben Wheeler TX 75754, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alamo Institute (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Morgan G. Sanders (about 600 feet away); Battle of the Neches (approx. 4.9 miles away); The Free State of Van Zandt (approx. 5 miles away); Brady P. Gentry (approx. 5 miles away); Asbury Cemetery (approx. 6.4 miles away); Adren Anglin (approx. 6.4 miles away); Tidmore Cemetery (approx. 6½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ben Wheeler.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Ben Wheeler Community.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 17, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 25, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 373 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 25, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.