Tinbridge Hill in Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Ivy Chapel Union Church
Bedford County, Virginia
— 1880-c.1950 —
Throughout its history Ivy Chapel was most closely associated with the Episcopal faith. Area Baptists established their own church—North Bedford Baptist—in 1893. The Methodists left Ivy Chapel in 1935. Episcopalians, however, held services there periodically through the mid-twentieth century. The opalescent glass window behind the chapel’s altar was given by the Episcopal congregation in memory of Rev. Frederick LeMosy, a young minister who served Ivy Chapel until his untimely death in 1900.
The nearby North Bedford Baptist Church received legal ownership of Ivy Chapel in 1979. A year later North Bedford renovated the old chapel to celebrate its centenary. Today North Bedford still cares for Ivy Chapel and the small graveyard located behind it. The Old City Cemetery Bicentennial Chapel was modeled after Ivy Chapel Union Church.
Topics. Churches & Religion.
Location. 37° 24.835′ N, 79° 9.447′ W. Marker is in Tinbridge Hill in Lynchburg, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Taylor Street and 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 Taylor Street, Lynchburg VA 24501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chapel and Columbarium (here, next to this marker); Hermon Methodist Church (here, next to this marker); Site of Glanders Stable (a few steps from this marker); The Quartermaster’s Glanders Stable (a few steps from this marker); Lynchburg’s First Public Hanging, 1830 (within shouting distance of this marker); Iron Fencing (within shouting distance of this marker); Station House Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Lynchburg, Virginia, 1864 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tinbridge Hill.
Also see . . . Old City Cemetery. The oldest public cemetery in Virginia still in use today - central Virginia's most unique public garden. (Submitted on May 29, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 642 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 29, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 3. submitted on May 27, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.