Near Daleville in Dale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
1840's Split Log Cabin
Double-pen split log cabin built in 1840's by early settlers who fled disease carrying mosquitoes along Claybank Creek, the first permanent location in this area. This house was the gathering place for many families. The logs tell of many happy occasions and the sad events endured by the people as they weathered the storms of their lives. The settlers have gone on to eternity but the structure still stands as a legacy to remind future generations of a time gone by.
Property of the Mark Donnell family for several generations.
Golgotha "Cat" and Minnie Faulk were the last occupants of this house from 1944 until their deaths.
Erected by the Donnell Family.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1944.
Location. 31° 12.837′ N, 85° 45.304′ W. Marker is near Daleville, Alabama, in Dale County. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Highway 85, Daleville AL 36322, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Providence Baptist Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Town of Level Plains (approx. 6.1 miles away); Daleville, Alabama (approx. 6.1 miles away); Mt. Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 8.3 miles away); Earliest Church In Hartford (approx. 8˝ miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 8.9 miles away); Rawls Hotel (approx. 9 miles away); Enterprise Depot (approx. 9 miles away).
Also see . . . HDR photo by Pat Henson. (Submitted on June 5, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 7, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 957 times since then and 122 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 5, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.