Wallington in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Bergen Trolley
From 1895 until Sept. 3, 1938, trolleys carried passengers from various parts of southeast Bergen County and Hudson County to ferries in Edgewater, where folks would transfer for the voyage across the Hudson into New York City.
The trolleys preceded the advent of bus and automobile transportation.
Original Trolley and Tracks installed on Paterson and New York Plank Rd. The Passaic-Rutherford and Carlstadt Railway Co. These tracks constructed in 1894, ran from The City of Paterson to Hoboken.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical date for this entry is September 3, 1938.
Location. 40° 51.212′ N, 74° 7.139′ W. Marker is in Wallington, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on Paterson Avenue south of Main Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located in Liberty Crossing Park on the Passaic River. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wallington NJ 07057, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Acquacknonk Bridge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Alexander Lord Stirling (about 600 feet away); Acquackanonk Bridge U.S.S. Maine Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Blanchard House (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Washington (approx. 0.2 miles away); Washington Tree (approx. 0.2 miles away); General John J. Pershing (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wallington.
More about this marker. Two different photos of trolleys appear on the marker. A Railroad Crossing sign and a portion of trolley track are also part of the display.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 13, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 662 times since then and 104 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 13, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.