Plainwell in Allegan County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Soule Memorial Fountain
The Soule Memorial Fountain was built in 1907, donated by Mrs. Carrie Soule in memory of her late husband, George Gary Soule.
The fountain was destroyed in 1953 when a truck driver from the Grand Rapids Hide Company was on his way to the Murray Packing Co. (currently JBS Packerland in Gun Plain Township). The gentleman suffered a seizure at the main intersection of Plainwell, rear-ended a parked police cruiser pushing it into the fountain, destroying the fountain.
It was not until 1970 when the Jaycees spearheaded a fund raising program to replace the fountain which is here today. This fountain was built much closer to Hicks Park creating less of a traffic hazard. Because materials from the original fountain were hard to duplicate, a much simpler version was built. One unique feature of the new fountain is the fact that one of the original stones was located and reused, thus linking the past with the present.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music. A significant historical year for this entry is 1907.
Location. 42° 26.573′ N, 85° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plainwell MI 49080, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early History of Plainwell (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Otsego Methodist Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Welcome to the City of Otsego (approx. 3.1 miles away); Otsego Civil War Memorial (approx. 3.2 miles away); Welcome to Pine Creek (approx. 4.7 miles away); Cooper Congregational Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); DeLano Homestead (approx. 6 miles away); The Kalamazoo Region (approx. 6.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Soule Memorial Fountain in 1953. A 1953 photograph of the Soule Memorial Fountain from the State of Michigan Archives. (Submitted on June 22, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 22, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 426 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 22, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.