Burkburnett in Wichita County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
("Boomtown, U.S.A."; 1 mi. SW)
One of the most famous Texas boom towns. Name was given to post office at request of President T.R. Roosevelt after his 1905 wolf hunt with rancher Burk Burnett in this area. Townsite was laid out in 1907 by Joseph A. Kemp and Frank Kell, surveyors and promoters of Wichita Falls & Northwestern Railroad. First oil discovery was Chris Schmoker No. 1, in 1912.
A 2200-barrel gusher was brought in on S.L. Fowler farm about a mile from this site, July 29, 1918, by a company formed by Fowler, his brother, W.D. Cline and J.I. Staley. In 3 months 200 wells had been completed in Burkburnett Townsite – a forest of derricks. Money and oil flowed freely. A bank capitalized at $25,000 got monthly revenue of $10,000 from a well drilled at its back door. The town’s population jumped from 1500 to 15,000 in a year. Boom area was extended by finds on properties of Burk-Waggoner Company and by Kemp-Munger-Allen operations to the southwest.
Town was made world famous in 1941 by the movie “Boomtown”, filmed from a popular story entitled “Lady Comes to Burkburnett”.
Economy is dependent on agriculture
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee and Wichita County. (Marker Number 571.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1650.
Location. 34° 6.059′ N, 98° 32.855′ W. Marker is in Burkburnett, Texas, in Wichita County. Marker is on E. 3rd Street west of Interstate 44 Service Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burkburnett TX 76354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Red River (here, next to this marker); Ohio Street Bridge (approx. 12.8 miles away); Texan Santa Fe Expedition (approx. 13.2 miles away); Henry C. Luecke (approx. 13.3 miles away); George Alonzo Soule (approx. 13.3 miles away); Site of St. James Hotel (approx. 13.3 miles away); J. A. Kemp Wholesale Grocery Building (approx. 13.4 miles away); Charlye Ola Farris (approx. 13.4 miles away).
Also see . . . Burkburnett. From the Texas State Historical Association’s “The Handbook of Texas”. (Submitted on June 25, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 25, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 506 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 25, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.