Aurora in Sevier County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Settlement of Aurora
In 1879 the settlers bought a small canal that had been dug by Dr. Coons and Sons. It was enlarged, providing more water for their crops. Later, two more canals were dug. This gave the valley a good water supply and fulfilled a prophecy that the valley would be farmed from mountain to mountain. Drinking water from the river and canals caused many to develop typhoid fever, so all water was boiled until wells could be dug.
In 1879 a one-room log schoolhouse was built and used for both church and community activities. Maggie Keller was the first school teacher. Ernest Shepherd opened the first
When the community applied to the government for a post office the name "Willow Bend" was changed, Numan Van Louvan, the first postmaster, suggested the name Aurora, after the Northern Lights.
Erected 2005 by Willow Bend Camp, Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 536.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list.
Location. 38° 55.169′ N, 111° 56.022′ W. Marker is in Aurora, Utah, in Sevier County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and West 100 South, on the right when traveling north on South Main Street. Marker is in city park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Aurora UT 84620, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Outbreak of Black Hawk War (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Crosby Memorial Presbyterian Church and School of Salina (approx. 4.7 miles away); Salina Fort & Tithing Office Old Rock Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Battle of Cedar Ridge (approx. 5.3 miles away); Camp Salina (approx. 5.3 miles away); Redmond Town Hall (approx. 7 miles away); Glenwood United Order (approx. 10˝ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 392 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 26, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.