Carroll in Coos County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
Abel Crawford and son, Ethan Allen Crawford, built the first Crawford House in 1828. It was run by Ethan's brother, Thomas, until sold in 1852. Fires in 1854 and 1859 destroyed the original inn and a replacement. Col. Cyrus Eastman erected the third and present Crawford House. It opened July 1859 to continue a tradition of hospitality to White Mountain visitors. Among them have been Daniel Webster, Nathaniel Hawthorne, John Greenleaf Whittier and Presidents Pierce, Grant, Hayes, Garfield and Harding.
Erected by NH Division of Historical Resources and the NH Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 087.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #14 Franklin Pierce, the Former U.S. Presidents: #18 Ulysses S. Grant, the Former U.S. Presidents: #19 Rutherford B. Hayes, the Former U.S. Presidents: #20 James A. Garfield, and the Former U.S. Presidents: #29 Warren G. Harding series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1828.
Location. 44° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Twin Mountain NH 03595, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Crawford Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Willey Boulders (approx. 2.6 miles away); Site of the Willey House (approx. 2.6 miles away); Mount Washington Hotel / Bretton Woods Monetary Conference (approx. 3.1 miles away); Crawford Notch (approx. 3.1 miles away); Mount Washington (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Mount Washington Hotel (approx. 3.1 miles away); Executive Councilor Raymond S. Burton (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carroll.
More about this marker. The Appalachian Mountain Club's Highland Center is located near the marker and sits on the site of the old Crawford House.
Regarding Crawford House. The Crawford House was closed in 1975. The hotel's contents were auctioned off in 1976 and the building was completely destroyed by a fire (thought to be deliberately set) on November 20th, 1977.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 10, 2011, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 821 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on July 10, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 10, 2011, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. 5. submitted on July 8, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. 6, 7. submitted on July 10, 2011, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.