Queenston in Regional Municipality of Niagara, Ontario — Central Canada
Brock Dead House
The first of five places where Sir Isaac Brock's body rested after the Battle of Queenston Heights
Courtesy Brock University Library, Special Collections and Archives
Brock Dead House
On 13th of October 1812, Major-General Sir Isaac Brock was killed at the Battle of Queenston Heights. In the midst of a deadly gunfire, his body was carried off the field and hidden in a nearby house. This improvised mortuary, or dead house. was located on the south-east corner of modern-day Queenston and Partition Streets. Spared the ravages of war, it remained standing for well over a century. By the 1920s, however, the house was in ruins and before the end of that decade it was torn down.
Erected 2011 by Queenston Residents' Association.
Topics. This memorial is listed in this topic list: War of 1812. A significant historical date for this entry is October 13, 1812.
Location. 43° 9.846′ N, 79° 3.257′ W. Marker is in Queenston, Ontario, in Regional Municipality of Niagara. Memorial is at the intersection of Queenston Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20 Queenston Street, Queenston, Ontario L0S 1J0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home of Laura Ingersoll Secord (within shouting distance of this marker); The Queenston Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Founding of Queenston (within shouting distance of this marker); Laura Ingersoll Secord 1775-1868 (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Laura Secord (1775-1868) (about 90 meters away); Queenston United Church of Canada (about 150 meters away); 'Alfred' (about 180 meters away); Brock's Cenotaph (about 210 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Queenston.
Also see . . . Sir Isaac Brock Biography. (Submitted on February 24, 2013, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 22, 2013, by uTour of Misissauga, Ontario. This page has been viewed 534 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on August 2, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 22, 2013, by uTour of Misissauga, Ontario. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.