Caneadea Historic Camelback Bridge
(Genesee River Access Site location)
1902 Flood destroyed wooden bridge
1903 Camelback Parker Truss Bridge built by Groton Bridge Works at a cost of $6,360.00.
1952 Wooden floor replaced with iron grating
1990 "Grandparents of the Future" chained themselves to the bridge in protest to the NY State Nuclear Siting Commission
1993 Allegany County closed the bridge
1995 Grass roots committee formed to save the bridge 1998 Bridge was accepted to the State and National Registers of Historic Places 2006 Extensive renovations are done to reopen the bridge 2007 Caneadea Bridge reopens and is rededicated
Allegany County Department of Public Works Federal Highway Administration New York State Department of Transportation Preservation League of New York State Save Caneadea Bridge Rededicated May 5, 2007
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Bridges & Viaducts. A significant historical year for this entry is 1902.
Location. 42° 22.913′ N, 78° 9.305′ W. Marker is in Caneadea, New York, in Allegany County. Marker is at the intersection of New York State Route 19 and County Route 49, on the right
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Caneadea Historic Camelback Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); In A.D. 1918 (approx. 2.7 miles away); Jockey Street (approx. 2.7 miles away); To Civil War Veterans of Caneadea New York (approx. 2.7 miles away); Major Moses Van Campen (approx. 2.9 miles away); Willard J Houghton House (approx. 3 miles away); Copperhead (approx. 3 miles away); Houghton College World War II Memorial (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Caneadea.
More about this marker. This is an identical twin to the marker at the bridge itself. See the entry for the twin marker for close bridge pictures.
Also see . . .
1. Caneadea Bridge - Wikipedia. (Submitted on August 3, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
2. Caneadea Bridge - Historic Bridges.org. (Submitted on August 3, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 3, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 365 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on August 3, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.