Corfu in Genesee County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First United Presbyterian Church
Rev. Hugh Wallis organized the First Presbyterian Church of Pembroke July 1, 1817. In 1829 Andrew Harroum gave a quarter acre of land for this church building which was completed in 1831 by a congregation of 78 members. The church bell was cast in 1855 at West Troy, N.Y. This original church structure is the second oldest building in the Village of Corfu, and the oldest building used by a continuous congregation in Town of Pembroke.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the The Spirit of ’76, America’s Bicentennial Celebration series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 1, 1817.
Location. 42° 57.675′ N, 78° 24.343′ W. Marker is in Corfu, New York, in Genesee County. Marker is on Alleghany Road (New York State Route 77) near East Main Street (New York State Route 33), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 63 Alleghany Road, Corfu NY 14036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 1800 Brick House 1963 (approx. 2.2 miles away); Town of Pembroke Old Buffalo Road Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); Site of First Permanent Settlement (approx. 2.8 miles away); General Ely Samuel Parker 1828-1895 (approx. 4.4 miles away); Morrot's Boulder Amusement Park (approx. 4.6 miles away); Mina Griswold (approx. 4.7 miles away); Schafer Farms (approx. 5.1 miles away).
Also see . . . History - Village of Corfu. Village website entry (Submitted on August 7, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 7, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 450 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 7, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.